The WYAcademy Award winners demonstrate excellent leadership as well as a commitment to the communities their work serves.
Applicants are assessed on the following criteria:
Outstanding Youth Leadership
You played the major leadership role in creating, organizing and implementing your project or campaign(s).
Issue & Approach
Your project is applying fresh solutions and approach to relevant environmental challenges.
Project Impact, Scalability, & Replicability
Is the project’s impact significant? Can your work be used as a model for other communities or campuses?
Charisma, Personal Commitment & Trajectory
What draws you to this work? What would winning the World Youth Academy Award mean to you?
All the World Youth Academy Alumni from all over the world are encouraged to apply and are eligible to be awarded. Our application deadline for submission will be Wednesday November 21, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Austrian Time.
GOVERNMENT & CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT: services | open data | democratic participation
HEALTH & WELLBEING: medical care | sport | lifestyle
LEARNING & EDUCATION: knowledge | science | skills
ENVIRONMENT & GREEN ENERGY: climate | sustainable resources | agriculture
CULTURE & TOURISM:heritage | entertainment | subcultures
SMART SETTLEMENTS & URBANIZATION: mobility |productive work | sustainable living
BUSINESS & COMMERCE: innovative services | security | finance | marketing
INCLUSION & EMPOWERMENT: diversity | gender | justice | human rights
WSA YOUNG INNOVATORS
Each of the six recipients of the World Youth Academy Awards will receive during their stay in Ciudad Juarez, the recipients will participate in a coaching, visioning, leadership activities, speaking and media engagements. We invest in their continued success by providing ongoing access to resources, mentors, and opportunities to develop leadership skills.
The week of activities culminates in the awards ceremony in front of more than 250 guests in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico on January 18, 2019.
- Invitation to the WSA Global Congress including:
- Pitching seminars
- 5 minute pitch session in front of an international audience during the Congress
- A program of especially crafted workshops for the winners
- Invitation to the prestigious award ceremony and Gala night
- Board and lodging for the durance of the Congress
- Eye to eye exchange with speakers, jurors and international guests
- Integration into a network of internationally recognized digital content developers
- Access to the WSA community of global experts and industry leaders in over 180 countries
- Interaction with world-renowned sponsors and partners of the WSA community
- Workshops specially shaped for the winners needs
- A videoclip highlighting the winners projects
- Special placement on WSA website, youtube channel and social media promotion
- Long-term coverage within WSA editorial channels
All applications must be completed using our online process. Please notify us well in advance of the deadline if you foresee any problems with submitting an application online.
You must complete your own application. Parents, friends, mentors, teachers, etc. must not complete it for you.
In addition to meeting award eligibility requirements and following all instructions to complete the online application, each applicant must submit:
- Photograph of yourself
- If you are a finalist, you will be asked for a letter of support from someone who is familiar with you and your environmental work (cannot be from a parent or guardian)
Please contact us well in advance of the deadline for support with the submission of your application or clarifying questions by emailing: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm Austrian time on November 22, 2018. Applications submitted after the deadline due to technical issues will not be accepted.
We review all applications and an external panel of judges vets all semi–finalists. If you are selected as a semi–finalist, we will request a Skype Video Call with you. Finalists will be notified by end-November. All World Youth Academy Award applicants are notified about their status by November 30, 2018.
The World Youth Academy Awards are looking to recognize the leader of a group or an effort. While we will consider applicants who are implementing individual efforts, it is our tendency to focus on leaders of groups and efforts.
Research and science fair projects:
Many research and science fair projects are individual and/or one–time efforts. As such, they are difficult to compare to the leadership of on-going projects. We will not consider applicants who are implementing research and science fair projects, unless it is part of ongoing environmental efforts involving a larger group.
We understand the impact and necessity of conferences and one–time gatherings. However, we typically will not consider one–time gatherings for the award, unless the event produced long–term measurable impacts in which you have continued to play a significant leadership role.
- April 15th, 2018: WSA Call open – please get in touch with WSA office to be introduced to your national Expert or read more on participation here.
- August 31st, 2018: WSA Call closes – all producers have maximum two more weeks to finish their applications in the WSA database
- September 1st, 2018 – October 15th: WSA Online Jury processes all submitted products to select the shortlist
- Announcement of WSA Shortlist
- November 2018: WSA Grand Jury evaluates WSA Shortlist to select WSA winners
- December 2018: Announcement of Winners 2018
- Spring 2019: WSA Winners will be presented and awarded at the WSA Global Congress 2019