NOT included in the participation fee are: transport of any kind,
meals, and accommodation.
NO SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE FOR THIS PROGRAM. The training is already subsidized by the World Youth Academy.
Length: 2 and a half days
Start: 21 May 2020 – End: 23 May 2020
Participation contribution: 325 €. This program is subsidized by the WYAcademy.
Daily time compromise: 6 to 7 hours a day (free evenings).
Institutions: World Youth Academy (WYAcademy) / Shabka / Austrian Institute for European and Security Policy (AIES).
Field: International Relations – Topic: SECURITY POLICY
Certificate of participation: it to be awarded by the WYAcademy and AIES.
Level of the lectures: Introductory to Intermediate
Working language and material: All of the summit and the given material will be in English.
- Start: January 10th, 2020
- Close: May 11th, 2020
- Starts: January 20th, 2020
- Close: May 15th, 2020
The closing of the group:
- May 17th, 2020
Summit in Vienna:
- Starts: May 21st, 2020
- Ends: May 23st, 2020
The program is particularly designed for a small group of young professionals with the aim of providing them an immersive and comprehensive introduction to the mechanisms, challenges, and strategies of the most influential international organizations. Thanks to the network of the WYAcademy, you will have master classes with the most important policy-makers, analysts, and practitioners in the world. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to learn more about their operations and work on the field.
To be over the age of 21 at the time of the Summit.
To have at least one and a half years of professional experience in a field related to the theme of the Summit.**
To complete the application form.
To have a good command of English.
To have a valid passport and a VISA to come to Austria.***
** If you are a student or recent graduate, you can apply for Summit if your career and/or professional interests are linked to the objectives and themes of the WYAcademy Security Summit in Vienna, in which case the Selection Committee will take this into consideration when processing your application.
*** If you do not have a visa to visit Austria or the European Union:
- We strongly suggest you to hold a VISA before you apply to the program. We do not send any Invitation Letter before being already enrolled in the program. Being enrolled means to have covered your participation fee.
- If you do not have a visa to visit Austria or the European Union, and you need an Invitation Letter for your visa application, you must first pay the participation fee to attend the Summit, and this fee is not refundable. WE DO NOT carry out or process your visa for you. For more information, see the website of the Austrian Embassy in your country.
- Refunds up to 30 days before the event.
- BE AWARE of we are not responsible in case of your visa application was denied, and therefore we will not refund your participation fee.
- This means that the event organizer grants refunds up until 30 calendar days before the event’s start date.
Applicants must know that all our programs are subventioned almost entirely by the WYAcademy itself, and the participation fees are used to pay immediately to the creditors and fund partially the event.
What exactly is the WYAcademy Summit and WHY SHOULD I ATTEND?
- The International Security Policy Summit is an experience of more than just courses or lectures. It’s an immersive experience specially designed to make an impact in your life.
- Our conferences, visits, workshops and overall design of the experience are coordinated to inspire, motivate, challenge, and create connections: to make you feel like “I wanna do this”, “I wanna change that” or “I will definitely keep in contact with this person to do this”. Why? Because this is the most important goal of the Summit, and it’s the key to success and our students’ satisfaction.
- That’s the reason why all of our programs are designed for small groups (max. 30 people) of professionals with a different mindset. We do not organize massive, impersonal events.
- Through the WYAcademy International Security Policy Summit, we give you a global setting because we all are a byproduct of international relations and network, and we love to share them with you. Therefore it’s really important to do this in Vienna, Bogota, Mexico City, Madrid or in New York, where we can see the world now and how can shape the future.
- Age and experience no longer limit the participation of this kind of summits, in fact, there are extraordinary young professionals that all can learn from. Students in many occasions have a great vision of the what we can do together and better.
- The difference, the outstanding success, satisfaction, but most importantly, the results of our Summits are not during the attending days, obviously it’s important, but the results are after the Summit and they depend only on you, of what to do with what you learn, experienced and lived in the WYAcademy Summit.
- The fundamental factors, without any doubt, are the speakers that are given to you to network, the contact with of the organizations and institutes, the student’s group and the city itself.
The International Security Policy Summit is entirely organized by the World Youth Academy, which is also based in Vienna as many other international organizations, and it is aimed to enrich the professional development of the participants.
The United Nations in Vienna and OSCE are certainly not co-organizing this Summit, neither financially supporting it.
Instead, they do grant access to their headquarters and provide a lectures with significant and relevant insights from their department, and through their staff members they also contribute to environment of respect and discussion that the Summit creates throughout itself.
Sometimes if the conditions are appropriate, we can even be present in a meeting with the presence of the Missions and Ambassadors. We would like to mention that this might be so irrelevant for some people who have this as business as usual, but for the entry level professional this is quite an experience.
We have been successfully organizing this Summit over the past 5 years, and until now have gotten only the best reviews, feedbacks and support from both, participants and international organizations.
Place: OSCE Congress Center Hofburg, Heldenplatz, 1010 Vienna
BRING YOUR PASSPORT OR OFFICIAL ID.
- 8:20 We meet. Please be on time
- 8:35 Welcome and Introduction by Ramiro Murguia, Director of the World Youth Academy.
- 08:40 Security check to obtain temporary passes.
- 9:00 – 10:00 International presentation: “ What is the OSCE – A general overview of OSCE history and activities” by Florence Le Clézio, Senior Media Assistant, OSCE.
- 10:00 – 11:00 Visit of the meeting of the Permanent Council Neuer Saal
- 11:00 – 11:20 Break
- 11:20 – 12:30 “The Conflict Prevention Centre and the Field… An essential Collaboration”, David Campion, Operational Support Officer.
Place: Diplomatic Academy Vienna (Favoritenstrabe 15a . 1040 Vienna)
- 13:30 – 14:20 Lunch break
- 14:30 – 16:00 TBA
- 16:00 – 16:15 Coffee break
- 16:15 – 17:45 “Workshop on Making Security Policies and their impact” by Lukas Wank, Director at Shabka.
- 17:45 – End of the first day
Place: United Nations Organization. Gate 1 Wagramer Str. 5, 1400 Vienna (All group members must bring and ID with a recent photo. Meeting Point: Gate 1 Lobby to obtain temporary passes at security)
- 8:45 Arrival and security check.
- 09:00 – Registration
- 09:30 – 10:30 Guided tour
- 10:45 – 11:45 Master Class “UNODC Engagement of Non-Governmental Actors in Fighting Transnational Organised Crime ” by Billy Batware, UNODC
- 11:45 – 12:45 Lunch break in the Diplomatic and UN staff area (NO lunch included in the summit)
- 13:00 – 14:00 “Towards achieving peace, justice and strong institutions: UNODC and SDGs” by Jean-Luc Lemahieu, Director, Division for Policy Analysis and Public Affairs, UNODC
- 14:00 – Photo shooting at the United Nations with the class
- 14:30 – End of the second day
Place: "International Institute for Peace" (Möllwaldplatz 5 2ND floor, 1040 Vienna)
- 10:00 – 11:30 “The Global System Transformation” by Velina Tchakarova, Head of AIES.
- 11:45 – 13:15 “Challenges and Perspectives for EU Integration” by Michael Zinkanell, AIES Research Fellow & Shabka Secretary General.
- 13:15 – 14:30 Lunch break
- 14:30 – 17:30 Tarik Ndifi, OSCE Conflict Prevention Centre, “Conflict Analysis in reality”.
- 17:45 – Last words by Ramiro Murguia, Director at World Youth Academy.
- 18:00 – Presentation of Attendance Certificates.
- 18:20 – End of the Summit.
The Summit includes:
- Two and a half days Summit in Vienna.
- Exclusive lectures with the most relevant actors on International Security Policy.
- Access to OSCE and UN.
- Exclusive master classes at these international organizations.
- Two and a half intensive days full of information, experiences and communication in the capital city of Austria.
- International Certificate issued by the World Youth Academy and the Austrian Institute for European and Security Policy.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS REVIEWS