About the Training
Length: 3 full days. Time compromise: 6 to 7 hours a day.
Day 1: Fri Sept 20: 2-7pm
Day 2: Sat Sept 21: 9am-5pm
Day 3: Sun Sept 22: 9pm-3pm
Contribution: € 295.-
Institutions: World Youth Academy and the Research & Advisory in International Affairs Group (RAIA)
Topic: Conflict Analysis & Foreign Policy.
Field: International Relations and Diplomacy.
International Certificate: The International Certificate is issued by the WYAcademy and RAIA.
Level of the course: Intermediate to advanced.
Working language & material: The training and materials are provided in English.
Enrollment starts on May 3rd and closes on September 15th.
The 3-day intensive training program seeks to provide a relevant, practical and personalised education to aspiring politicians, diplomats and policy makers alike. The course will be delivered by two proven and distinguished professionals of the field, who will reflect upon their own personal experiences in order for the participants to gain unique, primary insights into the profession, which goes beyond that of the textbook. In turn, the two topics of focus for the event will be:
1. Conflict Analysis
2. The Role of the Individual in Political Decision Making
Day 1 of the event will see both topics being addressed by their respective experts, in which all participants will be exposed to preliminary discussions and insights to the matter. On Day 2 and 3, participants will then be split into two groups, which will be formed based on each applicant’s preferred topic to specialise in over the remaining two days. As such, this will allow for the subject to be addressed in greater depth, whereby deeper and more personalised dialogues can be fostered with the experts.
At the conclusion of the event, participants will be awarded an official certification of selection into the training summit, whilst establishing what will undoubtedly be invaluable new connections amongst industry professionals and future leaders.
What you will learn in Conflict Analysis Training:
In this training, participants will learn which methodologies of conflict analysis can be applied to understand international conflicts. In particular, how a proper conflict analysis can provide substantiated advice to decision-makers when it comes to resolving (violent) conflicts with peaceful means. The fundamental understanding is that any conflict management effort which is undertaken without a proper conflict analysis before-hand is unlikely to be successful, but will be futile at best.
Conflict Analysis subdivided into topics
- Conflict actors
- Conflict causes and effects
- Conflict dynamics
- Conflict resolution and reconciliation.
What will be learned in Foreign Policy
In this training, participants will develop a deeper understanding of foreign policy, the decision making process behind it and the impact analysis of such decisions. Through the use of case studies and sharing of professional experiences, we will look at what shapes the world of international relations and what happens behind the scenes. The fundamental understanding is that personal psychology and pressure points on individual decision makes plays a much larger role than traditional theories acknowledge.
Main points to be analysed and discussed:
- Individual psychology behind foreign policy decision making.
- The role of structural and environmental dynamics on decision making.
- A wide range of specific case studies
- A look at foreign policy dilemmas in 2019 and beyond
Why students should participate:
- Understanding foreign policy in the complex 21st century is more important and interesting than ever.
- Foreign policy consulting and analysis is one of the fastest growing sectors within international relations.
- Foreign policy is a fundamental factor in financial flows, international security and global stability. It affects multinationals as well as individuals.
- There exists a wide range of challenging and exciting case studies to pick from.
- The focus on individual psychology offers a whole host of practically useful and innovative angles to interpret global affairs.
Why participate in this training?
- The world is faced with some of the most challenging conflicts in decades from civil wars, uprisings, poverty, to human rights- and environmental-related, and violent extremism and terrorism.
- Conflicts affect the lives of everyone directly or indirectly, undermine state structures, erode economies of countries, and have spill-over effects that undermine the fabric of societies and world peace and security.
- Today’s conflicts require a systemic and inclusive approach, with the involvement of multi-stakeholders
to find lasting, locally owned solutions and a comprehensive understanding of the context in which interveners operate.
- A comprehensive conflict analysis allows those involved in conflict sensitive work at the local, subnational, national, regional or international level to plan their interventions (large or small scale) based on sound evidence.
- Many of today’s professions seek to address specific comprehensive security needs that require an effective assessment to ensure positive impact.
- Conflict analysis tools can be applied to all professions where needs assessment is required.
- To be at least 21 years old at the moment of the training.
- To have a good command of English.
- To have a valid passport and VISA in case you need to come to Spain.***
*** If you do not have a visa to visit Spain, WE DO NOT carry or process your visa process. For more information see the website of the Spanish Embassy in your country.